The knee is an important weight bearing joint that is most prone to acute injuries as well as wear and tear. Pain in the knee could be due to any of the following components:
- Osteoarthritis: Wear and tear of the cartilage between joint surfaces
- Ligament Sprains or Tear: (four major ligaments – ACL, PCL, MCL and LCL) leading to instability.
- Meniscus Tears: (Quadriceps, the front thigh muscle and Hamstrings; the posterior thigh muscle)
- Fractures: of the knee bones
- Dislocation or Shifting of Patella i.e. the Knee Cap
- Baker’s Cyst: a swelling at the back of the knee